Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Am I insane? Or are you?

Long ago when the great apes carried seeds of humanity, I wonder if sanity / insanity was an issue. I wonder if a bunch of apes similarly positioned in mind and body, decided to stigmatize a slightly different one among them, and labeled it insane. I sometimes think if it is possible that a slight deviation in behaviour translated to an aberration to the norms of the neanderthals (anybody who questions the existence of norms among neanderthals should look into a mirror and gaze intently at themselves until they believe otherwise) thus giving the world its first boorish lunatic; if over the 200,000 years of human evolution, a crack became a crevice, and holy water flowed to widen the divide and gave rise to the sane and insane factions among us, as we see it today.

I would have convinced myself that insanity is in fact a curse of the white sheep to the outnumbered, unconventional black ones, if not for a particular group of madmen. The ones that were born among the "sane", but defected to the other side midway through their lifetime. This I strongly believe is due to the mis-wiring / detatchment of certain neurological elements, as a result of direct or indirect impact of an action with an equal and brain smothering reaction.

All this evolution centric thinking and scientific pondering has led me to think bout one other thing. Catch 22 has enlightened me enough to know for a fact that (if not anything else), a madman knows not, about his standing among the think - alikes of the world. He does not comprehend the ways of the sane, and a friend was also quick to point out (from personal experience) that they deem that every other person in the world, is raving mad. So how on earth does someone realize the onset of insanity? What if I was insane? (I personally think it'd be pretty cool and the world would expect nothing but drivel from me) How the hell do we know if we are insane? for all I care, every madman thinks he's sane. Its pretty trippy and dangerous to think of the world as a place where people thinking and acting alike became the sane faction and and the rest were shunned as non - conformers, whackos, wierdos - insane. Coz then, even a slightly rebellious mind will be tempted to choose the less trodden path. It would then lead to the destruction of conventions for starters and an obliteration of moral rules bringing up the main course. A scoop of brilliance for desert, and we have a brand new psycho, another joins the sparsely populated city of delusion, where your contorted mind makes the rules and you follow them religiously, bereft of trifles - only the higher layers matter (the physical layer is for the communcation theorists, if u know what I mean).

Clinging on to the edge of reason
Trying too hard
To satisfy my soul
I'm delving into depths unknown to me.

No comments: